- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1 small jalapeno pepper
- 1 large onion
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 medium potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose white flour
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 2-pound package oxtail
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning blend
- 12 ounces frozen gumbo vegetables
- Chop bell peppers and jalapeno pepper, Dice onion and finely chop celery. Peel potato and cut into small cubes.
- In a large stock pot, under a medium heat, mix together olive oil, flour, and bouillon cubes. Fill pot 3/4 full of water. Add peppers and bring to a boil. Add oxtail and vinegar. Cover and cook until oxtails are tender and liquid reduces (about 1 to 1-1/2 hours).
- Add black pepper and a dash of Mrs. Dash herb seasoning blend.
- Place potato cubes in a medium saucepan, cover with water and boil for 8 minutes; drain. (This process removes some potassium from the potato.)
- Add onion, celery, boiled potato and frozen vegetables. Cover and let cook until vegetables are tender.
- Small ends ox tails preferred with fat trimmed.
- Enjoy Oxtail Soup as a main course for lunch or dinner by adding a piece of cornbread and peach cobbler for dessert.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 21 g
Carbohydrates 10 g
Fat 21 g
Cholesterol 66 mg
Sodium 325 mg
Potassium 596 mg
Phosphorus 257 mg
Calcium 61 mg
Fiber 2.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Catherine from Illinois.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register