Sausage Egg Soup
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices day-old bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning blend
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- To make sausage, mix together ground beef, sage, black pepper, basil and garlic powder, and set aside
- Cut bread into 1" cubes and toss on a baking sheet with olive oil and Mrs. Dash seasoning. Bake until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Crumble sausage into a large saucepan and fry until done. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels
- Keep 2 tablespoons of drippings in the pan. Mince garlic and sauté 1 to 2 minutes. Add the broth, water and chopped parsley. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Adjust heat so broth is barely boiling. One at a time, crack each egg into a small bowl and gently slip into the broth. Poach until just set, about 3 minutes.
- Divide sausage into four individual soup bowls. Transfer the eggs with a slotted spoon onto the sausage. Ladle 1 cup of broth into each bowl.
- Top each bowl with one-quarter of the homemade croutons and 1/2 tablespoon of parmesan cheese.
- Be careful not to poach the eggs too long or they will be hard.
- Enjoy Sausage Egg Soup for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Linda from Ohio.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 26 g
Carbohydrates 15 g
Fat 19 g
Cholesterol 250 mg
Sodium 374 mg
Potassium 392 mg
Phosphorus 268 mg
Calcium 118 mg
Fiber 0.9 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3-1/2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register