Tangy Turkey Stew
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup celery
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- 1 cup yellow onion
- 1/2 cup fresh tomato
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 2 cups zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound turkey breast, skinless, uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Thinly slice carrots and celery. Chop bell pepper, onion, tomato, parsley and garlic. Slice mushrooms and zucchini. Cut turkey into 1” cubes.
- Heat oil in large stock pot over medium heat. Season turkey with black pepper, and sauté until brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, green bell pepper and onion. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add wine, tomato and garlic. Simmer 2 minutes.
- Add broth, thyme, bay leaf and crushed red pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add cooked rice, zucchini, mushrooms and parsley, and cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice and serve.
- Replace wine with water if desired.
- For a low-potassium diet, limit portion to only 1-1/4 cups because this recipe counts as 2 vegetable servings.
- Refrigerate or freeze leftovers for a quick meal later.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian LaBonte E. from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 18 g
Carbohydrates 22 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 24 mg
Sodium 128 mg
Potassium 528 mg
Phosphorus 197 mg
Calcium 54 mg
Fiber 2.4 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 starch
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register