3/4 cup chili over 3/4 cup white rice
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 pound ground lean beef
- 1 large onion,
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose white flour
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 6 ounces canned low sodium tomato paste
- 9 cups cooked white rice
- In a large skillet add turkey and beef. Sauté until brown.
- Chop onion, green pepper and garlic. Add to meat; stir.
- Add cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and paprika; stir.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture.
- Mix together the boiling water and chili powder. Stir into skillet.
- Cook slowly for 1 hour.
- Add tomato paste and stir well.
- Skim off any excess grease. Cook 30 minutes longer.
- Serve over hot white rice.
- May be served over noodles instead of rice.
- Freeze leftover portions in single serving containers for a quick heat and eat meal.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 27 g
Carbohydrates 38 g
Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 75 mg
Sodium 300 mg
Potassium 552 mg
Phosphorus 278 mg
Calcium 53 mg
Fiber 2.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Arfrances from Texas.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register