Turkey Vegetable Chili
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups zucchini
- 14 ounces canned stewed tomatoes, crushed
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Chop onion and zucchini. Mince garlic cloves.
Spray pan with cooking spray and add oil.
Sauté ground turkey, onion, garlic and zucchini until squash is tender.
Drain excess liquid well.
Add stewed tomatoes and spices. Crush and break up tomatoes with spoon or fork.
Simmer covered for approximately 1/2 hour.
- Two medium zucchini yields approximately 2 cups.
- Substitute lean ground beef for turkey if desired.
- Serve over cooked rice or pasta for a filling meal.
- Be sure to count as 2 servings of vegetables in your daily meal plan to allow for the potassium in this recipe. If you are on a low-potassium diet, stick closely to the recommended portion.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Robin from Connecticut.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 17 g
Carbohydrates 6 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 214 mg
Potassium 517 mg
Phosphorus 189 mg
Calcium 56 mg
Fiber 2.0 g
Added Sugar 2 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 vegetables, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register