Turkey, Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups turkey, cooked
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking wild rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces canned sliced mushrooms
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® Original herb seasoning blend
- 1-1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Chop onion, bell pepper and carrots. Mince garlic. Shred turkey.
- Bring 1-3/4 cups broth to boil in a sauce pan over medium heat; add quick-cooking wild rice to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, carrots and garlic. Sauté, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and rinse mushrooms, then add to vegetables.
- Add remaining 3-1/4 cups broth, bay leaves, turkey, Mrs. Dash seasoning, thyme, salt and pepper to pan. Cook until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves and add cooked wilds rice to soup. Serve immediately.
- If quick-cooking wild rice is unavailable, use regular wild rice. Add rice to 2 cups boiling broth, return to a boil and simmer covered for 50 minutes or until rice kernels puff open.
- Substitute 1 cup fresh mushroom pieces for canned mushrooms if desired.
- For a lower protein diet reduce turkey to 1 cup instead of 2 cups. Protein is reduced to 17 grams per serving.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Sarah from Kansas.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 23 g
Carbohydrates 15 g
Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 35 mg
Sodium 270 mg
Potassium 380 mg
Phosphorus 200 mg
Calcium 32 mg
Fiber 2.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register