Vegetarian Italian Wedding Soup
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 12 ounces Grillers® frozen vegetarian crumbles
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 3/4 cup carrots
- 10 ounces Morningstar Farms® Meal Starters Chik’n Strips
- 3 tablespoons onion
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2-1/2 quarts low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup acini de pepe pasta, uncooked
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Set the vegetarian crumbles out to thaw.
- Slice the spinach leaves. Dice the carrots and vegetarian chik’n strips. Mince the onion.
- Place the thawed vegetarian crumbles on a clean dish towel, cover and press to remove extra liquid.
- In a medium bowl add drained crumbles, beaten eggs, bread crumbs, cheese, basil and onion. Combine thoroughly.
- Roll mixture into approximately 50 to 60 small veggie meatballs and set on a greased baking sheet. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove the veggie meatballs from the oven to cool.
- In a large stockpot heat the vegetable broth to boiling. Stir in the spinach, carrots, pasta and veggie meatballs. Return to a boil; reduce heat to medium.
- Cook at a slow boil for 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Stir frequently.
- Add diced vegetarian chik’n to the soup. Heat thoroughly and serve hot.
- Chik’n and chick’n are terms used in vegetarian chicken substitute products. The primary ingredient is soy protein.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Joe from Maryland.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 10 g
Carbohydrates 16 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 27 mg
Sodium 358 mg
Potassium 202 mg
Phosphorus 145 mg
Calcium 77 mg
Fiber 3.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register