1 stuffed chili pepper
- CKD non-dialysis
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon carrot
- 1 teaspoon onion
- 2 California green chili peppers
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup canola oil
- Mince carrot and onion.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese with mushrooms, carrot and onion to make stuffing. Set aside in refrigerator until chili peppers are prepared.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat. Place peppers in pan and roast, turning several times, until skin bubbles. Remove from heat. When peppers are cool enough to handle, peel the skin off.
- Cut chili peppers open lengthwise and gently spoon half the cream cheese stuffing inside each pepper.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg white and flour until stiff. Coat each stuffed chili pepper with egg mixture.
- Place canola oil in a saucepan, enough to fill pan approximately one inch. Heat on medium-high heat.
- Carefully place chili peppers in the hot oil and fry until golden brown, turning once. Serve hot.
- California green chili peppers, also known as Anaheim chili peppers, are long green peppers with a mildly-hot taste. If unavailable, substitute low-sodium canned, whole, green chili peppers.
- Chili peppers vary in potassium content, with some varieties containing over 300 milligrams potassium each. Check with your dietitian before substituting chili pepper varieties in this recipe.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 7 g
Carbohydrates 9 g
Fat 30 g
Cholesterol 57 mg
Sodium 212 mg
Potassium 297 mg
Phosphorus 94 mg
Calcium 66 mg
Fiber 0.9 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 meat
- 1/2 milk
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 4 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Christie from Nevada.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register