- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 6 large carrots
- 4 large apples
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Peel and slice carrots and apples. Bring 1 quart of water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Boil carrots for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Layer carrots and apples in a large casserole dish.
- Using a fork, mix flour, brown sugar and nutmeg in a small bowl. Mix in butter to make a crumb topping.
- Sprinkle flour mixture over carrots and apples then drizzle with juice.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until apples and carrots are tender and topping is golden brown.
- Six large carrots will yield 6 cups and 4 large apples will yield 4 cups when peeled and sliced.
- Casserole can be assembled ahead of time and refrigerated. Heat when ready to eat.
- Replace brown sugar with Splenda® sweetener if lower carbohydrate content desired.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Maria from North Carolina.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 16 g
Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 57 mg
Potassium 206 mg
Phosphorus 27 mg
Calcium 22 mg
Fiber 2.4 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register