- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 pound carrots
- 12 Ritz® low-sodium crackers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Peel carrots and slice into 1/4” rounds. Place carrots in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and boil until soft enough to mash. Drain and reserve 1/3-cup liquid.
- Mash carrots until they are smooth.
- Crush crackers, melt butter, and mince onion. Stir crackers, onion, butter, salt, pepper and reserved liquid into mashed carrots.
- Place in a greased small casserole dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and bake for 15 minutes. Serve hot.
- One pound carrots yeilds 3 cups when sliced.
- Other low-sodium crackers may be substituted for Ritz® low-sodium crackers.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Christine from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 9 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 13 mg
Sodium 174 mg
Potassium 153 mg
Phosphorus 47 mg
Calcium 66 mg
Fiber 1.8 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
- 1/2 starch
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register