- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Heart Healthy
- 1 medium onion
- 2 roma tomato
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas
- 4 lemon wedges
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Chop the onion and dice tomatoes; mince the garlic cloves and grate the ginger; chop cilantro.
- In an 8-quart pot, heat the oil and sauté onion, garlic and ginger for 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and mix well. Sauté it for one minute
- Add chickpeas with liquid to the pot, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and lemon wedges.
- Serve chickpea curry with tortilla, baked pita (Naan) or rice.
- One 15-ounce can of chickpeas contains 9 ounces of chickpeas and 6 ounces liquid.
- Portion provided is for an entrée size serving. For a side dish decrease portion to 1/2 cup.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Amie from Michigan
Nutrients per serving
Protein 8 g
Carbohydrates 25 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 174 mg
Potassium 380 mg
Phosphorus 138 mg
Calcium 85 mg
Fiber 9.2 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register