Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup 1% low fat milk
- Peel and slice the potatoes into small pieces.Double-boil to reduce potassium if you are on a low potassium diet. (see helpful hints.)
- Boil potatoes and garlic over medium heat until soft.
- Drain off cooking water.
- Whip potatoes and garlic with beater, slowly adding butter and milk until whipped smooth.
- Double the garlic for a stronger garlic flavor.
- Potatoes are very high in potassium but you can remove part of the potassium by using the double boil method:
- Double boil method: Peel and small dice potatoes. Place in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Drain the water and add fresh water to the pot. Bring to a boil, cook for 10 minutes then drain and prepare as desired.
- Boiled potatoes can be frozen in batches.
- *Potassium content taken from reference values for double-boiling small peeled and diced potatoes.
Submitted by: the DaVita dietitian team.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 15 g
Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 103 mg
Potassium 205* mg
Phosphorus 65 mg
Calcium 35 mg
Fiber 0.7 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register