Garlicky Ginger Eggplant
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 cups Chinese eggplant
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup fresh mushroom pieces
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- Slice eggplant into 1-1/2-inch long pieces. Mince garlic cloves. Chop basil.
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet. Add eggplant, ginger, garlic, mushrooms and bean sprouts. Stir-fry over medium-high heat until eggplant begins to soften, 4-6 minutes.
- Add basil, chili pepper flakes and hoisin sauce to eggplant. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
- If Chinese eggplant is unavailable, substitute regular eggplant. Cut into 1-inch cubes (unpeeled).
- Hoisin sauce is a soybean paste product available in the ethnic food section of most grocery stores. One tablespoon hoisin sauce contains 250 mg sodium (63 mg per serving). Look for Sun Luck brand, available from Sun Luck of Seattle, Washington. A very small amount adds lots of flavor!
Submitted by: Recipe created exclusively for DaVita.com by DaVita dietitian Sara, RD, CSR, CDE, from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 6 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 81 mg
Potassium 189 mg
Phosphorus 39 mg
Calcium 14 mg
Fiber 1.9 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1-1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register