Green Bean Casserole
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 10 unsalted Ritz® crackers
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 cups frozen French-style green beans
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 2-1/2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Crush 10 crackers to equal about 1/2-cup cracker crumbs and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in sugar, sour cream and finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Add the frozen green beans and stir to coat.
- Transfer mixture to a prepared casserole dish.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl melt 1-tablespoon butter in microwave. Stir in cracker crumbs and sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake the casserole for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Remember to take your phosphorus binder with this casserole since it contains cheese, a source of phosphorus.
- This recipe is tastier and healthier than the cream soup version of holiday green bean casserole. It is much lower in sodium.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Erica from Wisconsin.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 5 g
Carbohydrates 11 g
Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 30 mg
Sodium 80 mg
Potassium 215 mg
Phosphorus 102 mg
Calcium 129 mg
Fiber 2.2 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
- 1/2 milk
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register