1/2 ear of corn
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 half-ear size frozen corn on the cob
- Mix the oil, cheese, thyme and black pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Place the corn in the oil mixture and roll to thoroughly coat corn.
- Place all four pieces of the corn in the center of a heavy duty aluminum foil sheet. Pour any oil left in the bowl over the corn. Top the corn with 2 ice cubes.
- Double fold the top and ends of the foil to make a packet, leaving room for heat to circulate.
- Place the foil packet on the grill over medium heat and cook 20 minutes, turning once during cooking.
- Compared to most vegetables, corn is higher in phosphorus. A 1/2 ear portion is acceptable for a low phosphorus kidney diet.
- Use fresh corn instead of frozen when in season.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 15 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 1 mg
Sodium 26 mg
Potassium 188 mg
Phosphorus 63 mg
Calcium 16 mg
Fiber 1.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
- 1 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Maria from North Carolina.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register