1 stuffed pepper half
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Heart Healthy
- Higher Potassium
- 4 medium bell peppers
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 medium yellow summer squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 15 ounces canned lentils
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 8 ounces no salt added tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Cut peppers in half vertically and remove ribs and seeds. Dice the onion and squash. Drain and rinse lentils and set aside.
- Place cut peppers on a baking sheet, face down. Brush with 2 tablespoons olive oil and roast in oven for 15 minutes.
- Place large pan over medium-high heat and drizzle in 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add onion, squash and dried herbs; sauté 5 to 7 minutes until soft.
- While onion and squash soften, chop garlic and add to pan; sauté an additional 2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, broth and half the fresh basil leaves. Stir until basil wilts and all ingredients incorporated.
- Add lentils and cooked rice and stir to combine.
- Remove peppers from the oven, flip them and fill 1/2 cup lentil mixture into each pepper. Top each pepper half with 1 tablespoon feta cheese. Return to oven to bake an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with remaining basil leaves.
- Lentil filling works great in lettuce wraps for an easy lunch.
- Feel free to play with the fresh herbs. Parsley and oregano work well in this recipe
Nutrients per serving
Protein 10 g
Carbohydrates 32 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 8 mg
Sodium 205 mg
Potassium 628 mg
Phosphorus 214 mg
Calcium 92 mg
Fiber 7.8 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 meat (protein)
- 2 starch
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Elyse from Virginia
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register