Mexican Street Corn (Elote)
1 ear of corn
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 4 small ears of corn
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup crema fresca (Mexican sour cream)
- 4 teaspoons queso cotija (Mexican cheese)
- 1/4 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 lime (4 wedges)
- cilantro for garnish
- Grill the shucked ears of corn until char marks are seen on all sides. If a grill is unavailable, boil the corn for 9 to 10 minutes.
- Spread a teaspoon of butter over each ear of corn until melted.
- Sprinkle each ear with chili powder, then drizzle with crema fresca or sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with the Cojita cheese.
- Cut the lime into wedges and squeeze over corn. Garnish with cilantro leaves and enjoy.
- Crema fresca can be found in the dairy section near the sour cream in most grocery stores. If unavailable, substitute 1 tablespoons buttermilk or mayonnaise mixed with 3 tablespoons sour cream.
- If queso cojito is unavailable, substitute 4 teaspoons parmesan cheese.
- To make this recipe with the corn off the cob, slice corn kernels off the cob and mix with all the ingredients. Divide into 4 servings.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Nicole from Virginia.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 16 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 23 mg
Sodium 120 mg
Potassium 236 mg
Phosphorus 90 mg
Calcium 39 mg
Fiber 2.5 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1-1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register