- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 turkey wing (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 pound collard greens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add turkey wing. Reduce heat and cook for about 1 hour. Set aside.
- Chop onion, garlic and collard greens.
- In another large pot, heat oil and butter on medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook 1 minute.
- Add collard greens and cook 1 minute.
- Add enough turkey stock to cover greens (about 4 cups). Add salt and bring to a simmer.
- Cook until greens are tender, about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Debone the turkey wing and add meat to the cooked greens before serving.
- Most greens get a bad rap for being high in potassium when actually it is the portion consumed that makes the difference. Many people eat more than 1/2 cup. Stay within the suggested portion to keep potassium down.
- To include turkey meat as an entrée, cook several turkey wings or legs. Remove and discard skin from the cooked turkey and add the meat to the collard greens if desired.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 8 g
Carbohydrates 4 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 30 mg
Sodium 174 mg
Potassium 218 mg
Phosphorus 72 mg
Calcium 140 mg
Fiber 2. 5g
Added Sugar 0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Lisa from Alabama.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register