Summer Squash with Pineapple and Peppers
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2-1/2 cups crookneck squash
- 2-1/2 cups zucchini squash
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 8 ounces unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cut squash into 1-inch cubes. Dice bell pepper into small pieces.
- Placed cubed squash in a slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix the green bell pepper, pineapple with juice, cinnamon, brown sugar and melted butter.
- Spoon over squash and mix well.
- Cover squash and cook on low heat setting for 6-7 hours or until squash is tender.
- Stir gently to mix before serving.
- People with diabetes may use Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend. Reduce the portion to 2-1/2 tablespoons to reduce carbohydrate to 8 grams per serving.
- Cook on high heat setting for 4 to 5 hours if quicker cooking time desired.
Submitted by: Submitted by DaVita renal dietitian Christie from Texas.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 13 g
Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 3 mg
Sodium 18 mg
Potassium 283 mg
Phosphorus 38 mg
Calcium 24 mg
Fiber 1.4 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register