Veggie Crumbles with Bowtie Pasta and Kale
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces frozen veggie crumbles
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 8 ounces whole wheat bowtie pasta
- 2 cups kale
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
- Chop the onion and kale.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion until tender. Stir in the veggie crumbles, 1/3 cup water and Italian seasonings. Cover and cook until crumbles for 4 minutes.
- Pour 2-1/2 cups chicken broth into the mixture and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook and stir over medium high heat until broth is absorbed, about 10 to 12 minutes. Add remaining broth, kale and chili flakes and cook over medium heat until pasta is done, about 14 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in Greek yogurt. Serve hot.
- This recipe was analyzed with Morningstar Farms® Grillers® Crumbles™. Soy protein products vary greatly in potassium content. Always check the label for potassium content if available.
- Many soy-based vegetarian protein products contain a significant amount of sodium. To keep total sodium low try to use other low sodium ingredients in your recipes that include these products.
- Use pasta of choice--whole wheat or refined, farfalle, fusilli, macaroni, orecchiette, rotini or shells.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Sara from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 19 g
Carbohydrates 40 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 2 mg
Sodium 353 mg
Potassium 390 mg
Phosphorus 270 mg
Calcium 80 mg
Fiber 8 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 starch
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register