Choosing a Dialysis Provider
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice or diagnosis from a physician.
For people who are preparing for dialysis, many might not know that they can choose their dialysis provider, treatment facility and even dialysis treatment. Although your options may narrow because of the provisions of your health insurance or managed care organization, it’s important to recognize the reasons for choosing the right dialysis provider.
What to consider when choosing a dialysis provider
- What does the dialysis provider offer? Things to look for include:
- Convenient dialysis center locations
- Knowledgeable and friendly dialysis care team(nephrologists, nurses, dietitians, social workers, care technicians) and other professionals
- Breadth of treatment options(Peritoneal dialysis, home hemodialysis, in-center dialysis, in-center nocturnal dialysis, in-center self care)
- Welcoming ambiance in the center
- Patient testimonialsabout the provider
- Patient support services(emergency assistance, travel support, insurance specialists, prescription delivery)
- How does the provider facilitate a better quality of life for its patients? Here are some things a provider should do:
- Implement ways to reduce the risk of hospitalization for its patients
- Meet or exceed influenza vaccination rates for patients and teammates
- What are the dialysis center hours of operation? Do the in-center dialysis hours or training time for home dialysis treatments meet your scheduling needs?
- What kind of training courses does the provider offer you and your care partner?
- Does the provider conduct patient satisfaction surveys? If so, are the results readily available to review?
- Is the provider an industry leader in educational resources? Does it present patients with free kidney disease classes, online education articles and interactive tools?
- If you choose in-center dialysis, what are you encouraged to bring to make you feel more comfortable (blanket, laptop, pillow, etc.)?
- Diet is a critical part of your kidney disease treatment. What resources are you and your family offered to best manage your diet (one-on-one dietitian meetings, kidney-friendly recipes, kidney-friendly diet education)?
- Can you schedule a tour of a dialysis center?
Could DaVita® be the right dialysis provider for you? Use the Find a Dialysis Center tool to schedule a tour of a center.