Pierogi with Sweet Cabbage and Mushroom Filling
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 cups cabbage
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon trans-fat free margarine
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Finely shred cabbage, finely chop onion and slice mushrooms.
- Place flour in a bowl and make a well in the middle. Add egg, melted margarine and hot water.
- Blend with a pastry knife until a dough forms. Turn onto a board and knead dough until smooth. Roll into a ball, cover and set aside for an hour.
- Put cabbage in a medium saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until tender. Drain cabbage and squeeze out extra liquid.
- Sauté chopped onions and mushrooms in a tablespoon of oil until slightly caramelized.
- Combine cabbage with onion and mushrooms. Set aside to cool.
- After cooled, finely chop the vegetable mixture. Add pepper to taste and stir.
- Roll out dough into a 10” to 11” circle. Cut 12 circles in the dough with a round cookie cutter.
- Place a heaping teaspoon of filling in the middle of each dough circle. Fold over, stretch and press sides together to form a crescent-shaped dumpling.
- Drop dumplings, two or three at a time, into a pot of boiling water. Pierogi will float to the top when done. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Once boiled, lightly fry dumplings in oil for a crispy treat, if desired.