Braised Beef Brisket
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2-1/2 pounds beef brisket (3-1/2 pounds untrimmed)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Dice onion, celery,carrot and parsley.
- Trim fat from beef brisket and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Using a heavy pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and brown meat 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove meat and add onion, celery and carrots. Cook and stir 4 minutes to deglaze the pot.
- Add crumbled bay leaves and parsley to vegetable mixture, and place meat on top of vegetables.
- Pour broth, water and balsamic vinegar over meat to cover and heat until liquid boils.
- Cover pot and cook in the oven for 1-1/2 hours. Turn meat over and cook an additional 1-1/2 hours until meat is tender enough to cut with a fork.
- Remove meat from pot. Add one cup water to pan juices and stir. Strain liquid from solids. Discard vegetables and reserve broth for gravy (see recipe in "Sauces & Seasonings" section).
- Slice brisket, top with gravy and serve.