Braised Short Ribs of Beef
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 cup carrot
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless short ribs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Chop carrot, celery and onion.
- Trim fat from ribs. Combine 1/2 cup flour and pepper. Roll short ribs in flour to coat.
- Heat 1-1/2 tablespoons oil in a skillet, and brown ribs on all sides.
- Place ribs in a roasting pan and roast uncovered for 45 minutes. Carefully pour off extra fat.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large pot and sauté chopped vegetables until soft.
- Add roasted short ribs and beef broth. Cover and simmer 2 hours or until ribs are tender.
- To make gravy, brown 2 tablespoons flour in 1 tablespoon oil. Add 1 cup of the meat liquid and stir over medium heat until thickened. Serve 2 tablespoons of gravy with each serving of short ribs.