Irish Pub Stuffed Bell Peppers
- CKD non-dialysis
1/2 stuffed pepper
- 4 medium green bell peppers
- 1 pound ground beef, 10% fat
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee powder, dry
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (carrot, corn, green beans, peas)
- 2 cups white potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons half and half
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Peeled potatoes and cut into small pieces.
- Leave stems on bell peppers and cut in half, from stem to bottom. With a spoon, remove seeds and membrane. Place on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix cornstarch with cold water and stir until free of lumps.
- In a sauce pan combine beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and coffee powder. Add dissolved cornstarch and stir over medium heat until thickened.
- In a skillet crumble the ground beef; cook over medium heat until browned. Add mixed vegetables, stir and heat with beef until hot. Combine gravy with beef and vegetable mixture.
- Stuff each bell pepper half with 1/2 cup beef mixture. Place in oven and bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
- While peppers are baking, make reduced-potassium potatoes. Place cut-up potatoes in a pot and add 6 cups water; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and drain water. Add fresh water and boil until potatoes are tender.
- With a hand mixer whip potatoes with butter or margarine and nondairy creamer or half and half.
- Remove peppers from oven. Spread 1/4 cup whipped potatoes on top of each stuffed pepper half and serve.