Mexican Chorizo Sausage
- CKD non-dialysis
1 patty, 1-1/2 ounces each
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder butt, 75% lean, cubed
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- Grind pork with a meat grinder fitted with coarse plate.
- In a large bowl, combine ground pork with spices, vinegar and brandy. Mix thoroughly with hands to distribute spices evenly.
- Place chorizo in a heavy, zip-top, plastic bag and seal. Refrigerate in very cold section of refrigerator for 1 to 3 days to allow sausage to cure (do not exceed 3 days). The flavor will become stronger the longer sausage cures. For longer storage, mixture can be frozen up to 2 months.
- Shape sausage into 16 equal size patties. Cook desired portion in a skillet coated with oil for 10 to 15 minutes until browned and cooked through.