Pressure-Cooked Pork Spare Ribs
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 rack pork spare ribs
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- Cut the half-rack into individual ribs. Line a sheet pan with foil and place a rack on top.
- Pour 2 cups of water into a pressure cooker. Arrange ribs, standing on ends around the wall of the pot. Close and seal the pressure cooker and set it to the meat setting for 30 minutes on high pressure.
- After 30 minutes release the pressure in the cooker according to the appliance instructions. Unlock and remove the lid. Remove the ribs to the rack on the sheet pan and sprinkle with pepper.
- Empty the pressure cooker. Add the low-sodium chicken broth to the cooker and add back the ribs. Bring the broth to a rolling simmer over a medium stovetop heat. If using an electric cooker set to “sauté” setting. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes to reduce liquid to about 1/3 of the original volume.
- Add the brown sugar and mustard and stir to mix. Simmer until the sauce is thickened, then remove from heat.
- Place an oven rack 4 to 6 inches below broiler heat and turn oven to broil.
- Spread the ribs out on the sheet pan. Brush the ribs with sauce. Broil for 5 minutes. Remove pan from oven, turn ribs over and brush with remaining sauce. Broil again for 5 minutes.