Sweet and Spicy Braised Beef
- CKD non-dialysis
- 3 pounds bottom round roast, well-trimmed
- 12 ounces frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- Place sliced onion in slow cooker.
- In large deep skillet, heat oil and brown beef on all sides.
- Remove beef from skillet and place in slow cooker.
- Add apple juice and spices to pan. Loosen browned bits from bottom of pan with spatula. Allow juice to simmer until reduced by approximately half.
- Pour juice over beef in the slow cooker. Set slow cooker on low and cook for approximately 7 hours.
- Remove beef from slow cooker to a deep platter or serving bowl. Shred using two forks.
- Pour juice into a medium saucepan. Bring to simmer.
- Wisk cornstarch into two tablespoons of water. Add to juice and cook until slightly thickened. If you would like a thicker sauce, simmer and reduce juice prior to adding cornstarch.
- Pour sauce over meat and serve.