Easy Shepherd’s Pie
- CKD non-dialysis
1/6 of pie
- 2 medium potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion
- 3/4 cup carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce, no salt added
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 package brown gravy mix
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Boil in a large pot of water for 5 minutes. Drain water, replace and boil again until potatoes are tender; drain.
- Chop onion and carrots. Mince garlic.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large frying pan. Over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic until tender (10 minutes).
- Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink.
- Add pepper, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and vegetables. Simmer on low heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Mash potatoes in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of butter. Mix in milk to give potatoes a creamy consistency. Add pepper to taste.
- Spread beef evenly in baking dish. Cover evenly with mashed potatoes. Use a fork to make a design.
- Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly. To brown top, broil for 2 minutes if desired.
- Prepare gravy mix according to package instructions. Serve 2 tablespoons of gravy over each portion.