Apple Zucchini Bread
- CKD non-dialysis
- 3-3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Granny Smith apples
- 2 cups zucchini
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Grease and flour two 9" x 5" loaf pans using 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Peel and chop apples; shred zucchini.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, oil, granulated sugar, 3/4 cup brown sugar (or 6 tablespoons Splenda® Brown sugar blend) and vanilla.
- In a separate large bowl, mix baking soda, 3-1/2 cups flour, salt and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture. Do not over mix.
- Fold in apples and zucchini and pour mixture into loaf pans. Spread mixture evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- While the bread is baking, prepare the crumb topping: combine the remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar (or 2 tablespoons Splenda® brown sugar blend), and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in the butter until the mixture becomes very crumbly.
- Take the bread out of the oven once it has baked for 40 minutes and add the crumb topping.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (from the center of the loaf).
- Cool for 10 minutes, then remove loaves from pans and transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut each loaf into eighteen 1/2" slices before serving.