- CKD non-dialysis
- 6 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening, softened
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (divided use)
- In large bowl mix flour and salt together.
- Add softened shortening and two cups of warm water.
- Begin mixing by hand, squeezing flour and shortening through fingers or mix with a spoon and knife, crisscrossing through flour and shortening.
- Form masa (dough) into a large ball. Remove clinging flour from sides of bowl by rolling masa around bowl. Add remaining 1/4-cup warm water if masa is too dry.
- Turn masa onto board or tabletop and knead for one minute into a smooth ball. Cover with the bowl or a towel for at least five minutes and allow to rest.
- Begin heating cast iron griddle or heavy skillet to medium-high temperature.
- Pinch off a piece of masa and form into a 2” round ball, turning edges of masa under and in. Set each ball aside. Tops will feel dry to touch.
- Sprinkle flour lightly over masa and board or table top. Using a rolling pin, roll masa into a round tortilla approximately 6” to 7” in diameter.
- Toss and turn tortilla between hands until smooth.
- Test a small piece of masa on heated griddle or skillet; it should begin browning within a few seconds if oil is hot enough.
- Cook each tortilla until lightly browned on both sides, turning frequently to prevent burning. Use a spatula or tongs to turn tortillas.
- Stack tortillas after cooking. Cool before storing.