Lower-Phosphorus Flour Tortillas
- CKD non-dialysis
- 3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 2 teaspoons Homemade Phosphorus-Free Baking Powder (Recipe in Sauces and seasonings section of DaVita.com)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup hot water
- Combine flour, phosphorus-free baking powder and salt.
- Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly.
- Add 3/4 cup hot water, and stir until ingredients look moist.
- Mix and knead to a soft dough. (You may need to sprinkle in another 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour).
- Cover dough with a towel and let rest 1 hour.
- Cut into 12 pieces.
- Lightly roll into a 6” to 7” tortilla, or put in a tortilla press, to 1/8” thickness.
- Cook on a hot iron skillet for 30 to 60 seconds per side until no longer doughy and brown spots begin to appear.