Southern-style Cornbread--Low Phosphorus
- CKD non-dialysis
2" square or 1/18th of recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose white corn meal
- 3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 cup sugar or Splenda® sugar substitute
- 1 envelope Fleishmann’s® Rapid Rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup nondairy creamer
- 1 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- Grease a 12" skillet with oil and set on a warm stove.
- Combine corn meal, 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a large bowl.
- Heat butter in microwave for 10-15 seconds to melt. In a seperate container, heat nondairy creamer and water to 120°-130° F. Add melted butter.
- Stir liquid mixture into dry mixture and beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and beat an additional 1-2 minutes at high speed.
- Gradually add remaining flour and keep stirring to form a stiff batter.
- Move batter to greased skillet and form to fit. Pat top with oil, cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375° F or until top is golden brown.