Spicy Corn Bread
- CKD non-dialysis
one 2” x 4” piece
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup plain cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup rice milk, unenriched
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In large mixing bow, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, chili powder and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add rice milk, egg, egg white and oil to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Gently stir scallions, carrots and garlic into cornbread mixture.
- Pour batter into an 8”-square baking pan which been coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until top starts to turn golden brown. Cut into eight 2” x 4” pieces.