Baked French Toast Custard
- CKD non-dialysis
1 slice of toast
- 4 slices Italian bread. sliced 1/2” thick
- 4 cups rice milk, non-enriched
- 2 cups liquid low cholesterol egg substitute
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- powdered sugar or non-calorie sweetener, optional
- Coat bottom and sides of a 9” x 13” baking pan with margarine or nonstick cooking spray.
Arrange slices of bread in a layer on bottom of pan.
Beat non-enriched rice milk, egg substitute, melted margarine, sugar, almond extract and cinnamon together in a bowl and pour over bread slices.
Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or non-calorie sweetener, if desired.