- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 pound frozen hash brown potatoes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces cooked lean ham
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons onion
- 1/2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- *Soak hash brown potatoes for 4 hours and drain. Rinse and squeeze out excess water.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Coat 8 muffin tin holes with cooking spray.
- Using a 1/3 cup measure, place hash browns in muffin cups and press potato in the bottom and up the sides of each muffin cup.
- Spray hash browns with cooking spray. Place in oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Finely chop ham, peppers and onion.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350° F.
- Beat eggs and milk together in a medium bowl; season with black pepper. Add ham, peppers, onion and cheese to egg mixture and combine.
- Press partially baked hash browns down firmly with a spoon so that they are spread out like mini piecrusts. (Potatoes should cover bottom and sides of each muffin hole.)
- Pour about 1/4-cup egg mixture into the center of each muffin hole.
- Return pan to oven and cook until potatoes are crisp and golden and the egg mixture is set, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit about 5 minutes before serving.