Old Fashion Waffles
- CKD non-dialysis
half of a 7” waffle
- 1-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baker’s yeast
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Heat milk and butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat until butter is melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Cool milk/butter mixture until warm to the touch.
Meanwhile, whisk flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl to combine.
- Gradually whisk warm milk/butter mixture into flour mixture; continue to whisk until batter is smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla until combined, then add egg mixture to batter and whisk until incorporated.
- Scrape down sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours.
- When ready to make waffles, heat oven to 200° F to keep waffles warm after cooking. Heat the waffle iron.
- Remove batter from refrigerator when waffle iron is ready (batter will be foamy and doubled in size). Whisk batter to recombine (batter will deflate).
- Use 1/2-cup batter for 7” waffle iron or 1-cup batter for 9” waffle iron.
- Serve immediately or crisp and keep warm in the oven.