Wheat Berry Breakfast Bowl
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 cups wheat berries, uncooked
- 1 medium fresh pear
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- To cook wheat berries, bring 1-1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup wheat berries to a boil. Turn down heat to simmer and put lid on pan. Simmer for 30 minutes. Check for doneness and add extra water if needed. Continue cooking for 15-20 minutes, checking every 5 minutes until done. Wheat berries should be al dente or chewy.
- Thinly slice pear. Heat butter in sauté pan and add pear slices. Cook until tender.
- Add cranberries and chopped crystallized ginger to pears. Cook until cranberries start to burst.
- Add cooked wheat berries, orange zest, maple syrup and cinnamon. Stir until heated through. Serve and enjoy!