Caramelized Onion and Sour Cream Turkey Burger
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons chives
- 1 pound ground turkey 7% fat
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 cracked wheat hamburger buns
- Dice 1/4th of the onion and chives. Slice the remaining onion.
- Combine the diced onion, turkey, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and pepper. Mix well and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the sliced onion. Stir and cook for 15 minutes. Reduce to medium-low heat and continue cooking 30 minutes or until onions are caramelized. Stir occasionally and add extra oil if needed.
- Form turkey mixture into 4 patties and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Grill the turkey patties over medium heat, until well cooked, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Burgers are done when a meat thermometer registers 165˚ F.
- Place each burger on the bottom part of the bun, top with caramelized onion, 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1/2 tablespoon chives. Place the other half of bun on top and serve.