Chicken and Rice Casserole
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 cup bell pepper
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 2 cups cubed chicken, cooked
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning blend
Heat oven to 350° F. Spray a 1-1/2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Chop bell pepper and onion.
In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and butter over low heat.
After butter is melted, stir in flour and black pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, broth and milk. Heat to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for one minute.
- Stir in cooked rice, chicken, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion and Mrs. Dash herb seasoning.
- Pour into baking dish. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue cooking for 20 minutes.