Grilled Chicken Marsala
- CKD non-dialysis
1 chicken breast fillet with sauce
1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 ounce sliced prosciutto, diced
- 2 teaspoons shallots, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine
- 1-1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (divided use)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces spaghetti, uncooked
Melt butter over low heat in a medium saucepan. Sauté the prosciutto in the melted butter for about 2 to 3 minutes, being careful not to burn the butter. Add shallots and garlic, and sauté for another 30 seconds. Add Marsala wine and simmer for another 30 seconds, and then add fresh mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper. Simmer over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
Dissolve cornstarch in chicken broth. Add broth to the saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add fresh parsley and cream to the sauce, and simmer 3 to 4 minutes or until thick. Remove pan from the heat and cover until needed.
To make chicken seasoning, combine salt, remaining black pepper, oregano, thyme, dried parsley, marjoram, garlic powder and onion powder in a small bowl. Use your thumb and fingers to crush the herbs and spices in the bowl to make a finer blend.
Wrap each chicken breast in plastic wrap and pound with a kitchen mallet until uniform in thickness. Brush each chicken breast with olive oil. Sprinkle seasoning blend over both sides of each chicken breast and grill for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until done.
While chicken is cooking, prepare spaghetti according to package directions but omit salt.
Serve entrée by arranging each chicken breast on a plate. Spoon one quarter of the Marsala sauce over each serving of chicken.
Serve with 1 cup cooked spaghetti or your favorite pasta.