Lemony-Garlic Chicken with Quinoa and Orzo
- CKD non-dialysis
1/4th of recipe
- 2 ounces orzo pasta, uncooked
- 2 ounces quinoa, uncooked
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 cup red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 lemons
- 1-1/2 tablespoons salt-free herb seasoning blend
- 2-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cook the orzo and quinoa according to package directions and set aside.
- Mince the garlic; dice the onion and bell pepper; slice the mushrooms.
- Cut the chicken into 1" pieces. Place the chicken pieces in a zippered plastic bag with juice from 1 lemon and 1 tablespoon of the salt-free herb seasoning blend. Mix together and place in the refrigerator.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion. Sauté until onion is translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are just tender, about 5 to 7 minutes) Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink inside, about 7 minutes.
- Whisk together the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, juice of 1 lemon and 1/2 tablespoon salt-free herb seasoning blend; add mixture to the chicken.
- Stir in the cooked orzo, quinoa and sautéed vegetables. Cook another 3 to 5 minutes until chicken is fully cooked and all ingredients are heated through.
- Divide evenly to make 4 portions.