Sweet and Sour Chicken
- CKD non-dialysis
1 cup chicken plus 1/2 cup rice
- 8 ounces canned pineapple chunks, juice-packed
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-1/2 cups cooked white rice
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and place in a saucepan.
- Add reserved pineapple juice, broth, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce and garlic. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add vegetables and pineapple. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cornstarch and water. Gradually stir into hot mixture. Continue to cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Serve over white rice.