German Apple Cake
- CKD non-dialysis
1 piece 3" x 2-1/2"
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium gala apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Set butter out to soften. Peel, core and slice apples.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Zest the lemon. Add the lemon zest and vanilla extract to butter and sugar mixture. Add one egg and continue to mix; add the other egg and mix.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter until combined. Do not over mix.
- Juice the lemon; stir the juice into the batter. Stir in the apple slices.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking dish. Sprinkle one tablespoon of sugar over the top. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. After cake is cool cut into 15 pieces and serve.