Grand Champion Apple Pie
- CKD non-dialysis
4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups applesauce
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 unbaked, deep-dish pie shell, 9” size
- 1 medium apple
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, applesauce, brown sugar, flour, lemon rind, 3-tablespoons lemon juice, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix well.
- Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300° F. Bake for 45 minutes longer or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool slightly on wire rack.
- While pie is baking, peel and thinly slice apple.
- Combine apple slices and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a bowl; mix well. Arrange apple slices pinwheel fashion over top of baked pie.
- Melt jam in small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Brush apple slices with melted jam.
- Place pie on rack of broiler pan. Broil 6” from heat source for 3 minutes or until apples are tender and jam is bubbly.