- CKD non-dialysis
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 14 drops of red food coloring (optional)
- 1 tablespoon decorative red sugar
- Preheat oven to 220º F. Cover cookie sheet with foil.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar. Add vanilla extract and food coloring. Continue mixing well until stiff peaks form and all the sugar is dissolved.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto foil-lined cookie sheet. Smooth tops of meringue with bottom of spoon to form a "peak." Sprinkle cookies with decorative red sugar.
- Bake in oven 50 minutes. Let cool in oven with door slightly ajar for about 1 hour.
- Store covered at room temperature. Recipe makes approximately 30 cookies.