Pavlova with Strawberries
- CKD non-dialysis
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 300º F. Set egg whites out to bring to room temperature. Slice the strawberries and set aside.
- Beat egg whites with salt at high speed until soft peaks form. Add 2 cups of the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Gently fold in vinegar and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Smooth mixture into an 8” round, ungreased cookie sheet or pizza pan. Smooth top.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Turn off oven and let shell set for 1 hour with oven door shut. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- For the whipped cream, place bowl and whisk in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Put sugar, heavy whipping cream, and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla into bowl and whip until stiff. (Can be done with a hand mixer, stand mixer, or by hand.)
- Fill Pavlova shell with whipped topping and sliced berries on top.