Ricotta Cheese Cookies
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 15 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Set butter out to soften.
- In a large bowl using a hand-mixer on low speed, beat together sugar and butter. Blend well. Increase the speed to high; beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- With the mixer on medium speed mix in the ricotta cheese, vanilla, eggs and lemon juice. Set mixer to low speed and add flour, baking soda and salt. Beat until a dough forms.
- Drop by tablespoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet, spaced about 2-inches apart. Bake for 15 minutes, or until slightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool cookies completely on a wire rack.
- Make icing by whisking together powdered sugar and milk until smooth and free of lumps. Ice each cookie, then set aside for icing to dry.