- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- nonstick cooking spray
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients until a stiff dough forms. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Spray jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray. Press dough into the pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- Make 1” slices across the jelly roll pan (the short way). Cut each length into 3 pieces for a total of 36 rusks. Flip each slice on its side on the baking sheet.
- Bake an additional 45 minutes at 275° F.
- Turn off oven and leave rusks in oven overnight (or for at least 8 hours). The cooked rusks will resemble biscotti.
- Serve with morning coffee or as a snack anytime.