Twice-Baked Apple Cake
- CKD non-dialysis
1/12th piece of the cake
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 7 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large tart apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch spring form pan.
- Cut 4 tablespoons of the margarine into pieces. With the food processor metal blade in place, add 2/3 cup sugar, flour, 4 tablespoons margarine, baking soda, vanilla and one egg to food processor bowl. Process until mixture resembles cornmeal. Spread mixture in the bottom of well-greased pan.
- Peel, quarter and seed apples. Insert slicing disk in food processor and stand apple quarters upright in feed tube. Slice using moderate pressure on the pusher.
- Arrange apple slices in layers on top of the crumb mixture. Bake for 45 minutes.
- While cake is baking, add remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, remaining 3 tablespoons margarine (melted), cinnamon and one egg to the bowl of the food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process until the mixture is smooth and sugar dissolves. Spoon mixture over apples and bake 30 minutes more or until top is firm.